It is cooling down quickly in many parts of the United States. If your area hasn’t experienced the first freeze of the season yet, it is only a matter of time before the first serious cold fronts move in. Winter is the time of year that many homeowners like to take a break from lawn maintenance, but a healthy, thriving lawn requires attention year-round. Luckily, winter lawn care is much less time consuming and complicated than a spring and summer regiment. Below, you’ll find a list of tips and tricks to keep your lawn in good shape this winter. After you’ve read this article, be sure to also take a look at How to Keep Your Lawn Green During the Winter.
- Keep it simple. Winter is not a time to overcompensate—too much mowing or watering is ultimately harmful.
- Manage leaves, branches, nuts, and other fallen material. Allowing debris to build up can cause disease and water issues. For more information on debris management, read Autumn’s Fallen Leaves: How to Manage Them.
- Apply appropriate nutrition. The correct fertilizer strengthens roots and keeps grass healthy. For winter application, we recommend our Recover fertilizer.
- In periods of prolonged or persistent rainfall/snowmelt, monitor the lawn for patch disease and use fungicide as a preventive measure if necessary.
- If you live in a dry area, be sure to monitor weather activity and water the lawn a few days in advance before a cold snap. The deadliest combination for lawns is dry + cold weather.
- During the winter months, lawns mowed a bit taller are typically the healthiest. Mow as needed to mulch leaves, but be careful not to cut the grass too low or to “scalp” it.
- If you choose to overseed, mow every 10-14 days so that it doesn’t get too long or it may cause issues for the host grass.
- An option to keep a green lawn through the winter months is to apply a colorant. This kind of technology has come a long way in recent years and is a simple solution for dormant lawns. To learn more, read Turf Colorant: A Great Option for Maintaining Winter Color in Warm Season Lawns.
Lawnifi Recover – Individual$20.00