Are you one of the many bermudagrass enthusiasts? Do you love the high curb appeal and fine bladed look that makes bermudagrass stand out from other home lawns? Bermudagrass may require a little more maintenance than most grasses, but if you are as attracted to bermudagrass in a home lawn as we are, a little upkeep is no problem.
When it comes to outperforming the bermudagrass competition, Celebration® and Latitude® Bermudagrass are something to shout about! With three different top-performing bermudagrasses, Celebration, Latitude 36 and TifTuf, comes a lot of questions about how they compare to one another. This Sod University article discusses each bermudagrass’s particular strengths as observed from a third-party sod producer who has all three. Read below to make a decision on which bermudagrass best fits your needs.
Celebration Bermudagrass easily stands out from other popular bermudagrasses on the market. Its deep blue-green color and hardy drought tolerance make it an alluring turfgrass choice for homeowners. Celebration finished best in numerous university research studies for wear tolerance and recovery, drought resistance and tolerance and bermudagrass shade tolerance. You can find Celebration in professional and college sports venues, golf courses and house lawns in the southern United States and across the world.
Celebration Bermudagrass Characteristics
- Performs better in shade than TifTuf or Latitude 36,
- Deeper blue-green color than Latitude 36 and TifTuf,
- Doesn’t scalp as badly as TifTuf,
- Produces more seed heads than Latitude 36 and TifTuf,
- Faster lateral spread than TifTuf and Latitude 36,
- Has a more cushy feel due to its density,
- Hardy drought tolerance.
A decade of performance, Celebration is tough to beat.
Latitude 36 Bermudagrass
Latitude 36 Bermudagrass was developed by renowned Oklahoma State University and is a top quality rated NTEP bermudagrass. As one of the most cold hardy bermudagrasses on the market, Latitude can be found throughout the southern two-thirds of the United States as it grows into the transition zone. Latitude 36 offers high traffic tolerance and exceptional visual appeal and can be found in sports fields, golf courses and home lawns.
Latitude 36 Bermudagrass Characteristics
- Darker green color than TifTuf,
- Best for mowing really low,
- Doesn’t scalp easily in comparison to Celebration and TifTuf,
- Produces the least amount of seed heads compared to Celebration and TifTuf,
- Recovers fast,
- Lots of upright growth,
- Has more regrowth during winter than TifTuf,
- Doesn’t need as much dethatching as Celebration or TifTuf.
TifTuf Bermudagrass was developed with drought tolerance in mind. As a fine-textured bermudagrass, this grass uses less water than other similar grass cultivars. TifTuf also possesses a high shade tolerance that stays green further into the cooler autumn temperatures. You can find TifTuf in the lower two-thirds of the United States.
TifTuf Bermudagrass Characteristics
- Does well in shade,
- Light green color,
- Performs better in heavier soils during drought,
- Small amount of seed heads,
- Hardy drought tolerance.
Photo Credit: The Turfgrass Group.